Dartboard Cabinets



I made these two dartboard cabinets as Christmas gifts.  They were two of the more difficult projects I have tackled.  I made them out of 4/4 Cherry, 1/2″ birch plywood, 1/4″ MDF, and Walnut veneer.

One thing that made these more difficult than other projects I have made is the fact that I purchased rough-sawn lumber.  In the past, I have bought S3S lumber, so I didn’t have to do any milling.  But for these, I found a new lumber dealer that carries rough sawn Cherry, so I went that route.  Initially is was so that I would have enough material to resaw the Cherry to make the door panels, but with my grossly underpowered band saw, I elected to use MDF and veneer it with some paper-backed walnut veneer that I already had.


Parts cut and ready for sanding


Cleaning up joinery with chisel

In the past, I have done a poor job of finishing and the final product always shows it.  For this project, I went with General Finishes Arm-R-Seal.  This proved to be a challenge and very time consuming.  Milling the material and cutting the joinery took an entire Saturday.  The finishing, including sanding through to 360 grit between every coat took about 10 days.


Pre-finishing interior parts


Pre-finishing door panels

I pre-finished the door panels and the interior case sides so that I would have an easier time with glue clean up and final sanding.  I put a cork layer on the interior of the back panel, so finishing the interior of the case after it was assembled would surely mess up the cork.  This worked out well and I was glad I did it this way.


Dry-fit corners


Dry-fit everything to make sure it fits together

I did plenty of dry-fitting to make sure everything looked good before I tackled the glue up.


Squaring up during glue up

It took very little persuasion to get everything aligned and square.  I’m glad I took extra time to make sure the joinery was cut square to begin with.


Glued up, ready for final sanding and finishing

After the glue-up, just to make sure it all lined up.


Hinge mortise


Cutting hinge mortise with router

I decided to go with piano hinges that I got from Lee Valley.  It was a cheaper alternative than the Brusso hinges I was looking at and I thought this project was a perfect application for piano hinges.  These pictures shows how the mortise looked.


Dart holder

Instead of creating a fixture that would hold the darts, I simply drilled 3 holes on each side of the cabinet to put the darts in.  This was very simple and works perfectly.  They are spaced 1″ apart.


Back, showing french cleat

To hold the cabinet on the wall, I went with a french cleat.  This is super easy and very strong.  I just hope that whomever mounts it to the wall, does so level.


Door pulls – cabinet 2


Door pulls – cabinet 1

For the door pulls, I decided to make them each different to distinguish one from the other.  These were just made out of some walnut scraps that I had left over from when I made the Greene & Greene mirror.


Completed cabinet 1


Completed cabinet 1


Completed cabinet 2


Completed cabinet 1


Figured cherry

This was a very fun project.  The inspiration came from two places.  The initial idea of creating these came from Brian Grella from Garage Woodworks.  His influence shows in the cloud lifts on the doors.  I have followed Marc Spagnuolo for years and his influence shows in the joinery for the case construction.  I love the Greene & Greene style, but I have yet to try ebony plugs.  Maybe next time.

Thanks for looking,



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s